Personal statement: 10 most overused opening sentences
Ucas have compiled a list of the 10 most overused opening sentences in personal statements. Whatever you do, don't begin yours with any of these...
Writing a personal statement is possibly the most important – and certainly the most time-consuming – aspect of the university application process. It's also rather tricky.
I haven't dared dust off my own to see how many times I used the word "passionate", but the truth is it isn't easy to be original. Nearly 700,000 students applied for university last year – that's a lot of times for tutors to have to read "I have always been fascinated by ...[insert subject]".
Top 10 most overused personal statement opening sentences
To help students avoid the most common pitfalls, Ucas has provided theTelegraph with a list of the 10 most overused opening sentences.
Whatever you do, don't start your personal statement with any of these – not only are they awful clichés, but they're bound to be picked up by Ucas's anti-plagiarism software.
And if you're after some more constructive help, have a read through our Ucas insider's guide to the personal statement.
1. I am currently studying a BTEC National Diploma in ... (used 464 times)
2. From a young age I have always been interested in ... (309 times)
3. From an early age I have always been interested in ... (292 times)
4. Nursing is a very challenging and demanding career ... (275 times)
5. For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with ... (196 times)
6. "Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only” ... (189 times)
7. Nursing is a profession I have always looked upon with ... (178 times)
8. For as long as I can remember I have been interested in ... (166 times)
9. I am an International Academy student and have been studying since ... (141 times)
10. Academically, I have always been a very determined and ... (138 times)
Read more at The Telegraph